All About Shopping in Daegu
: Living Information for the new comers!
1. Consumer Life
When you buy things, it's advisable to compare the price and quality of products.
Always check the expiry date of food and drinks. After paying, please check the receipt to ensure correct payment for the products. When you want to exchange or return a product, you need to submit the receipt. If you have any problems with the return or exchange of products, or need any help, you can contact the Korea Consumer Agency, or other organizations working for the rights of consumers.
● Korea Consumer Agency, 02-3460-3000, www.kca.go.kr
● Consumers Korea, 02-739-5441, www.cacpk.org
Cash receipt system
The cash receipt system requires the shop to issue a cash receipt for the transaction, when you present your cash receipt card, along with cash for payment. Subsequently, your cash payment information will be sent to the National Tax Services.
Cash receipt card for international people
To get the cash receipt card, you need to go to the tax office in your area. When you present your alien registration card, you will be registered as a taxpayer and your cash receipt card will be issued. One or two days after the registration as a taxpayer, you can join a member of the cash receipt service at the National Tax Services website (www.taxsave.go.kr).
Benefits of cash receipt system
When you or one of your family members have earned income, you can get tax deduction for 20% of your spending in cash, exceeding 25% of your total earned income (please refer to the section 2. Life-taxation & income tax deduction). You can get the detailed information about your cash payment on the website of the National Tax Services (www.taxsave.go.kr), and you can receive benefits at the income tax deduction.
2. Traditional Markets
The oldest general wholesale market in Daegu, Seomun Market is composed of five districts. This market features its largest size and a variety of items ranging from textile products like fabrics and clothing, to fruits, dried marine products, and shoes. It is changing in a better way with the expansion of access roads to the market, and convenient facilities like a spacious parking lot and a heating / cooling system.
● Open: from 9am to 7pm
● Inquiries: 053-256-6341
● Public Transportation
- Subway Line 2, get off at the Seomun Market Station
: Express1, 156, 309, 400, 400-1, 402, 405, 420, 420-1, 425, 508, 521, 623, 653, 724, 808, 909 (Keunjang Intersection)
: 300, 402, 414, 600, 609, 836, 840 (Dongsan Medical Center)
: 323-1(District 5 of the Market)
The best place to buy new furniture or appliances (secondhand stores are also located here). Major goods are ritual foods, living necessities, vegetables, fruit, marine products, electric home appliances and clothes. Also, necessary articles for marriage, furniture, kitchen utensils, metallic materials, toys, laver, rolled rice, fried food, earthenware & ceramics, and flowers (wholesale) are available.
● Public Transportation
- Subway Line 1, get off at the Chilseong Station
: Express1, 156, 305, 401, 403, 410, 410-1, 521, 618, 650, 708, 980, Gachang2 ( Chilseong Market)
: Gachang2, Donggu2 (Nonghyup)
3. Major Department Stores
Debec Department Store
As a shopping and cultural space with a long history, it is also widely known as a meeting point.
It is situated in the center of the city.
● Debec Department Store 053-423-1234
Dong-A Department Store
It boasts of a long history, and is equipped with electronics goods, daily necessities, clothing, food and other miscellaneous goods.
It also provides galleries for exhibitions.
● Dong-A Department Store 053-422-2111
● Dong-A Shopping Center 053-252-2111
● Suseong Branch 053-784-2111
Lotte Department Store
It features an easy access thanks to the Daegu Subway Station and Daegu Train Station located in the same building.
It is equipped with movie theaters and restaurants.
● Daegu Branch 053-660-2500
● Sangin Branch 053-258-2500
Hyundai Department Store
An all in one shopping center with easy accessibility, where you can enjoy movies, restaurants and shopping in one place!
You can find lots of luxury goods here.
● Daegu Branch 053-245-2233
4. Discount Superstores
Five-working day system enables people to have more free time, which helps to create shopping culture on family basis.
Variety of goods including groceries, clothing, and sports gear and outfit are available at resonable prices, at discount superstores in Daegu. They provide customers with facilities for cultural events and classes as well.
Costco Whole Sale
● Daegu branch Sangyeok-dong, Buk-gu 053-380-1234
● Esiapolis branch Bongmu-dong, Dong-gu 053-945-2500
● Gamsam branch Gamsam-dong, Dalseo-gu 053-722-1234
● Manchon branch Manchon-1-dong, Suseong-gu 053-602-1234
● Banyawol branch Sinseo-dong, Dong-gu 053-665-1234
● Bisan branch Bisan-dong, Seo-gu 053-714-1234
● Seongseo branch Igok-dong, Dalseo-gu 053-605-1234
● Siji branch Sinmae-dong, Suseong-gu 053-718-1234
● Wolbae branch Daecheon-dong, Dalseo-gu 053-607-1234
● Chilseong branch Chilseong-dong-2ga, Buk-gu 053-609-1234
● Namdaegu branch Daemyeong-6-dong, Nam-gu 053-659-8000
● Naedang branch Naedang-dong, Seo-gu 053-567-2080
● Dongchon branch Geomsa-dong, Dong-gu 053-559-2080
● Daegu branch Chilseong-dong-2ga, Buk-gu 053-350-8000
● Daegu Suseong branch Dusan-dong, Suseong-gu 053-760-8000
● Sangin branch Sangin-dong, Dalseo-gu 053-380-8000
● Seongseo branch Yongsan-dong, Dalseo-gu 053-550-8000
● Chilgok branch Dongcheon-dong, Buk-gu 053-607-8000